Accord Healthcare launches generic doxorubicin pegylated liposomal concentrate
Accord are one of the first to market generic doxorubicin pegylated liposomal 2mg/ml concentrate for solution for infusion in the UK and Europe
LONDON, Aug. 8, 2022 /PRNewswire/ --
This press release is only intended for trade and medical journalists only. This press release is not intended for consumer press journalists.
Accord Healthcare today announced the UK and European launch of generic doxorubicin pegylated liposomal 2mg/ml concentrate for solution for infusion. One ml of doxorubicin pegylated liposomal contains 2mg doxorubicin hydrochloride in a pegylated liposomal formulation. Doxorubicin pegylated liposome formulation is doxorubicin hydrochloride encapsulated in liposomes with surface bound methoxypolyethylene glycol (MPEG). This process is known as pegylation and protects liposomes from detection by the mononuclear phagocyte system (MPS), which increases blood circulation time.
The product is indicated:
- As monotherapy for patients with metastatic breast cancer, where there is an increased cardiac risk
- For treatment of advanced ovarian cancer in women who have failed a first-line platinum-based chemotherapy regimen
- In combination with bortezomib for the treatment of progressive multiple myeloma in patients who have received at least one prior therapy and who have already undergone or are unsuitable for bone marrow transplant
- For treatment of AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) in patients with low CD4 counts (<200 CD4 lymphocytes/mm³) and extensive mucocutaneous or visceral disease
Pete Kelly, Accord UK, said: "The launch of generic doxorubicin pegylated liposomal underlines Accord's continued commitment to improving access to cancer treatments for both patients and healthcare systems. Our aim is to introduce high quality affordable medicines to benefit both health systems and patients in accessing this medicine."
Accord is a leading player in the generic oncology field, with a portfolio and product development pipeline focused on prevalent tumour types, in addition to haematological and cancer supportive care therapies.
Notes to Editor
About Accord Healthcare
Headquartered in the United Kingdom, Accord Healthcare is one of the fastest growing pharmaceutical companies in Europe. Accord has one of the largest market footprints of any European generic and biosimilars companies, selling generic medicines in over 80 countries around the world.
This global footprint enables us to deliver vital, affordable medicines to national health systems supporting healthcare professionals to transform patient lives worldwide.
The approach of Accord is agile and inventive, always seeking to improve products and patients' access to them. Accord is driven to think differently and deliver more for the benefit of patients worldwide.
The doxorubicin pegylated liposomal 2mg/ml concentrate for solution for infusion Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) can be found on the electronic medicines compendium (eMC) website: www.medicines.org.uk, and a copy accompanies this press release.
Upcoming Life Sciences Events
- December 2023
- Pharma-Biotech Product & Company Valuation with Dr. P Frei
- Leiden: Dutch Life Sciences Conference
- London: Genesis 2023